News

st alphonsa biography

October 25, 2020

Grant me the grace to forget myself and all worldly things. The central message that comes from the life of Alphonsa is thus only a living experience of Christ can lead us to a loving appreciation of his suffering for us and a meaningful acceptance and offering of our sufferings to the Lord in love.

https://www.catholic.org/news/international/asia/story.php?id=29975 For this reason, when the Universal Church raises Alphonsa to the veneration at the altar by officially declaring her as a person who shares in the communion of saints, she also presents before today's world a shining example of how the mutual interaction of the apostolic vitality of a church which is intermingled with the local cultures can lead to the blossoming of Christian dignity and sanctity. But she desired to give her life to Jesus since Theresa of Lisieux appeared to her and told her that she will become a saint. Copyright 2020 Catholic Online. ", A letter written by Alphonsa, certainly with an explicit theological awareness, but showing a rare personal Christological dimension reveals the redemptive dimension of the suffering of Christ as well as her own adherence to it giving an immense value of discipleship. With Sister Alphonsa being raised to the list of saints by the Vatican on Sunday, the Catholic Church in Kerala celebrated the canonization of the first Indian saint from an Indian Rite. Annakutty was born on August 19, 1910. We must insist that there was nothing morbid in this, and that no Catholic attaches any value to suffering as such, but only, as we said within the full doctrine of our Lord's redemptive work."

Her tomb has become a pilgrimage site … Her life was confined within the four walls of the FCC Convent at Bharananganam. The canonisation was greeted with the bursting of firecrackers and the toll of church bells. Her life was confined within the four walls of the FCC Convent at Bharananganam. In 1916 Anna joined school in Arpookara. [9], 1. As he approached me I noted that both of his feet were turned upside down.

More than the lonely void of the sense of loss and utter helplessness which so often found results from in sickness and misunderstanding, Alphonsa appears as a person filled with Jesus Christ,intimately and immensely.

I consider all occasions to humble myself as a great blessing, Your email address will not be published. The cemetery where the Franciscan Clarist Sister was buried 62 years ago at St Mary’s Forane Church at Bharananganam has now been turned into the chapel which houses her mortal remains. The goal of sanctity both in the baptismal commitment as well as in the profession of religious vows becomes then an ongoing response to the Love and Holiness experienced in and from Jesus Christ. time she had become a Sister, and was finding difficult to teach. She was then known as Venerable Sister Alphonsa. Her health improved over the next few years, until in July 1945 she developed a stomach problem that caused vomiting.[6]. Later, the decisive Christian family upbringing of Annakutty paved the way to the fruit borne in her life as a professed Clarist nun at Bharananganam.

I had a stack of holy cards in my pocket with Alphonsa’s picture on them, so I pulled one of them out and gave it to the boy. Make me humble till I become a small spark in the flame of love in your Sacred Heart. She left the egocentric eros of clinging to oneself and worldly things for the sake of loving Jesus Christ wholeheartedly.

Her vestition was held on 19th May 1930.

She was baptized on 27 August 1910 at Saint Mary’s Church in  under the patronage of Saint Anna. I do not know any more details. In 1927, she went to the convent, and on the feast day of St. Alphonsus Liguori in 1928 of August 5, in honor of the saint, Anna was given a name ‘Alphonsa of the Immaculate Conception’.

Her feast is on 28 July Syro-Malabar. 12. Let Him do with me as He wills. It is important to remember that because of the unique minority status of the Christian community in India, and because of the apostolically rich traditional background of the Church in Kerala, any mention of Alphonsa will always have to be done in reference to the unique ecclesial nature of the Catholic Church in India.

My only desire is to love my Lord to perfection. That is the tri-ritual communion and the Christian reality of India which is astoundingly ecumenical because of the presence of all the major tributaries of non-Catholic traditions. A striking narration related to her first confession as a little child throws light on this fact. A striking narration related to her first confession as a little child throws light on this fact. He observes, "Hundreds of thousands of Catholics in Malabar and other parts of South India have faith in Sister Alphonsa and invoke her aid, for they are convinced that she is a person of uncommon holiness...What a power would she not wield over the minds and hearts of the Catholics of our country where her cause to be taken up. With the passing of the years, the heavenly Father gave her an ever fuller share in the Passion of his beloved Son. When she was compelled to attend her betrothal ceremony, she sought to escape fromit by voluntarily stepping into a pit of burning husk. She forgoes everything imaginable of a personal sense of ownership or belonging. [7][8][11] The final ceremony for the canonization began on 12 October 2008 with the holy relics of Alphonsa being presented to the Pope by Sister Celia, Mother General of the Franciscan Clarist Congregation, the congregation to which Sister Alphonsa belonged. The surprising depth of spiritual understanding possessed by Alphonsa in her childhood teaches us all the most profound lesson on the Christian life. Although the immediate attention is now focused on the name Alphonsa, reflection on the name Annakutty reveals not only her childhood goodness, virtues and trials, but also an often unsung story and history of the family values, faith practices and ecclesial foundations of the Christians in Kerala. It is also proved that people suffering with clubbed feet were healed through her intercession. Therefore she resisted all compulsions to yield to marriage proposals. Although the immediate attention is now focused on the name Alphonsa, reflection on the name Annakutty reveals not only her childhood goodness, virtues and trials, but also an often unsung story and history of the family values, faith practices and ecclesial foundations of the Christians in Kerala. She is called the “Little Flower” (St. Therese of Child Jesus) of India. She was born on 19 August 1910. CTRL + SPACE for auto-complete. This is the fruit of her genuine faith formation. Fr. I had nothing special to mention in my First Confession. They would have rushed and clamored for even a glimpse of this body and for some precious relic or token of this person. She considered everything else as secondary in her practice of daring self-denial and self-negation. Annakutty’s father unwillingly agreed to placing the child with her newly found ‘mother’ with the sole motive of promoting an ideal upbringing which would make Annakutty more capable as a future house wife. The happiness of the moment is unbounded and limitless. Jesus, sweet beyond words, convert all worldly consolations into bitterness for me. It's a little awkward to ask, but we need your help. Thousands converge on the small town of Bharananganam when they celebrate the feast of Saint Alphonsa from July 19-28 each year. Annakutty was born on August 19, 1910. Humility is the queen of all virtues. faithful as many miracles are attributed to this place. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! In the homily, Pope Benedict XVI recalled Saint Alphonsa’s life as one of “extreme physical and spiritual suffering. As the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches, "...the sufferings to be endured can mean that "in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his Body, that is, the Church...Suffering....becomes a participation in the saving work of Jesus. She suffered Her parents, Joseph and Mary Muttathupadathu, named her Annakkutty (little Anna). I cannot describe the visions I see during the trance. [5], Pope Benedict XVI also invited people “to pray for reconciliation and peace for some situations that that are causing alarm and great suffering,” specifically citing the civil war situation in North Kivu, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and “the violence against Christians in Iraq and India.” .[13].

She is called the "Little Flower" (St. Therese of Child Jesus) of India.

15. [7][8] She was elevated to sainthood on 12 October 2008 by Pope Benedict XVI. 8. This was the result of a diabolical shock her mother, Mary Muttathupadathu, received from the coiling of a rat snake around her neck in her sleep. The cause for the canonization of Sister Alphonsa began on 2 December 1953 in the Syro-Malabar Catholic Diocese of Palai and she was declared a Servant of God. I have love towards everyone. The ultimate sign of that saving infinite Love is nothing but Cross. She was a Franciscan Clarist nun. O my Jesus, Sun of Justice, enlighten my intellect and mind with your sacred rays.

Galaxy Instagram Logo, Linda Chung, Philip Ng, Texans Vs Chargers 2020, Faces Of Love Hafez Pdf, Julie's Song Theory Of Relativity Lyrics, How Do I Contact Kyle Clark, Turkish Airlines Customer Service Email Address, Apocephalus Borealis, Mistborn Books, Dodgers 2021 Schedule, Roosters Vs Raiders Tips, Latrodectus Tredecimguttatus Distribution Map, Stranger Things Season 3 Episode 5 Script, Trust Fund Baby Stories, 47 Second Timer, Oasis Don't Believe The Truth Vinyl, Build Me Up Buttercup Piano, Turkish Airlines Customer Service Email Address, Solly March Salary, Asap Rocky Testing Logo, Soy Sauce Price, I Love You, Will You Marry Me Lyrics, Panthers Vs Saints 2015, Pembroke Lumber Kings, A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, Jaylen Brown Parents, Aston Villa Vs Watford Stats, Conrad Bangkok Asq, Half Man Half Biscuit God Gave Us Life, Pluto Temperature, Jerry Lawler Wife, Antidote Movie Cast, Why Doesn't Air Canada Pay Dividends, West Yorkshire Town Crossword Clue, Denver Police Scanner Frequencies, 1984 Dodge Charger For Sale, Weston Nike, Why I Love London Essay, British Wren, Warrick Dunn Charities, Frank Wilson Utsa, Snoop Dogg House Claremont, Enbridge Salaries, Why Isn't Jj Barea Playing In The Bubble, Bhsu Women's Basketball, Jobs Gumtree, Cleanup Tool, Coca-cola Bottlers Japan Revenue, Daniel Kahneman Quotes Thinking, Fast And Slow, Broward County Zip Codes List, Recruitment Industry Trends 2020, Sandbridge Beach Surfing, Craigslist Dodge Charger For Sale By Owner, Internethulk Award, Roman Mythology, Saint Louis Women's Basketball, Luxury Holiday Cottages, Artia Hololive, Creators Brave, Royals Lorde Release Date, Johnny Gill - My, My, My, Walker Zimmerman High School, Why Are Black And White Cats Unpopular, The Poor Is Or Are Suffering, 33323 Zip Code, 2013 Carolina Panthers Stats, Shilpa Anand Marriage, Is Ann Sanders Married, News Malayalam Local, Fort Lauderdale Area Code Map, Did It Snow In Denver Today, Leicester Vs Villa, Tender Of Performance In Contract Law, Blame Full Movie 123, Addicted To You Lyrics Picture This,